Sunday, February 8, 2015

A Few Things.


I decided in the middle of January, to go through our house, room by room and start tackling the to-do's, like painting, getting rid of things we don't need/want, etc. Once I got started, the list started to grow. So needles to say, I've been a very busy girl. The first room I started with was my craft room and while it's not fancy, by any means, I'm really happy with it and I can't wait to share it with anyone who cares to listen! I'm like that lady who just whips out her phone to show off her pride and joy to perfect strangers even in the checkout line at the grocery store. Ok, maybe not that bad, but close.

I really want to take a sec to shout a big fat THANK YOU to the SVG Cuts Design Team for my win in the SVG Cuts Christmas Challenge. I'm floored that I won first place, and it sure means a lot that I did. Also, thank you to all of the lovely peeps, for all of the likes and comments on SVG Cuts Facebook page. Mary and Leo: I looove my new Cameo.

Ok, so SVG Cuts newest kit is darling! If you haven't seen it yet, then click on the link below and check it out. I'm a little late to the party (the kit came out almost 3 weeks ago), but surely there's gotta be someone out there that are as behind as I am and hasn't seen it...  

 This is the Hearts Aflame SVG Kit. For some reason the matchbook on the You Ignite My Heart Box Card makes me incredibly happy! 
Next, I wanted to share the February Noel Mignon Kit. This month's theme (obviously) is Valentine's.  the kit is called "LOVE LIFE" and as usual is loaded with lots of really groovy stuff. I know the plan was to use these kits for inspiration for my projects, but I think I may have to cheat a little and make a couple of Hearts Aflame Box Cards with products from the LOVE LIFE kit. I think these 2 kits are like peas and carrots. Click the link below the picture if you'd like a complete list of what's in the kit.

Noel Mignon February 2015 Kit "LOVE LIFE"

Now I want to share a couple of things that I've done.

The first project is one I made for my oldest daughter for her birthday in December. For the last 3 years she has asked for a pair of UGG boots, and then decides she'd rather have a new pair of western style boots instead. So I thought it would be cool to make her one. The Santa Boot in from the Santa's Surprises SVG Kit, worked really well for this. This was super easy to make into an UGG inspired boot.

As I said, the Boot is from Santa's Surprises. The Mirror and Poodle are from Paula's Boutique SVG Collection and the Rose is from the Crush On You SVG Kit
Before I cut out the boot, I ungrouped the file, regrouped just the holes for the laces and used the arrow key to move them from the front widest panel of the boot to the back widest panel, the regrouped everything. I used the arrow key, so I was sure everything would stay lined up exactly where it should be. Then I assembled it following Mary's directions. Easy peasy. I used an UGG logo from the internet and just printed it out. 
A couple of weeks ago, I was perusing Pinterest looking for storage ideas for my craft room. I came across oodles of pins from Jennifer McGuire. Not only is her craft studio AH-MAZING, but she is an extremely talented Stamper. Just short of pie crusts (don't ask), quilting and scrapbook pages, I like to collect creativity so I couldn't wait to try out some of her techniques. Since SVG Cuts is very near and dear to my heart, I of course, figured out how to incorporate her techniques with their files. I also don't own a single die because I have a Cameo, so there is that. 

This is for my youngest daughter. Her birthday is this week. You can see Jennifer Maguire's post here. She has a video that shows you how to make it.  For mine, I used the  card_base file from the Thank You For the Music SVG Kit. I chose that, because I happened to have that kit open on my computer, but you could use just about any card base you wanted. I cut it out on my Cameo from an acetate sheet. I had to make sure that the double cut box was checked and I changed the blade depth to 8. It's pretty thick acetate. The Stars are from the Stars and Stripes SVG Kit
Since this is a clear card, there are more layers than a regular card would have, but I really enjoy that. This is the inside of the card. Obviously, the idea is when the card is closed everything should line up. If you're interested in this, I strongly suggest you watch Jennifer's video. She does a fabulous job showing you how to get everything lined up perfectly. 
The sentiment on the front is from the Hampton Art SC0586 stamp set. Which I can't seem to find a link to, but I got it at Joann's.
This is the back side. I just love this. I think there are so many elements you could use to make this work. And talk about WOW factor!
Finally, while in the process working on my craft room, I couldn't hook up my Cameo and I needed to make a couple of cards. So I decided to go back to the basics. It was time to break out some tools I haven't used in awhile (or ever). I have loads of stamps and I have the Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Marker set. I've barely used the markers, so I thought it was time to. I also have a few of the ink pads that coordinate with the marker set. I'll be honest, this marker set is an investment. Even buying it through Amazon, it's over $100, but soo worth it. They are really lovely to work with.

The card bases for both cards are 4.25" x 5.5" of white AC Cardstock, I cut with my paper trimmer. The Butterfly stamp (left) is from Inkadinkado and the flowers (right) came with the Bo Bunny Bundle Kit. I colored the image on the stamp with the markers in sections then stamped them. I then when back over each image filled them in and blended them with the Dove Blender Pen. Because of the nature of the Distress Markers, it's hard to get a clear image right away, which is why I went back and filled it in. Also, I was going for more detail anyway, so this works just fine. Both sentiments on the front are from the Bo Bunny Sentiments stamp set.

Here's a closer look at what I did. When I was done coloring in the image, I cut it out and secured it to the card with foam dots so it stood up off the card. 
I kept the sentiments on the inside of both cards simple. I wanted all of the attention on the front of the cards. I used a stamp from the Bo Bunny Sentiments stamp set on the Butterfly card and part of the  "I love you" stamp from the Ki Hampton Art SC0586 stamp set (which again, I can't find a link to anywhere, but I got it at Joanns).  

So that's it. I had hoped to keep to a shorter post, but no such luck. Oh well. Until next time!

Post a Comment

Whatsapp Button works on Mobile Device only

Start typing and press Enter to search

Become a Patron!